History of Ravens Wood School

The School started life as Beckenham Technical School. It moved to its current site in Oakley Road in January 1958. Lt.-Col. Lord Dudley Gordon inaugurated it on 13th October 1960 as Bromley Technical High School for Boys. The move to Oakley Road allowed it to enjoy larger playing fields and improved facilities.

In 1971 the school changed its name to Ravens Wood School for Boys and became non-selective. In January 1992 it was awarded Grant Maintained Status. In 1994 Ravens Wood became one of the first Specialist Technology Colleges.

Girls were admitted into the Sixth Form in September 1997, and in September 1999 the school’s name changed to Ravens Wood School to reflect this. At the same time the school also changed it's category to Foundation status. With a number of schools in Essex and Bromley, it formed SEEVEAZ – South East England Virtual Education Action Zone – the aims of which were to establish schools which are high performing, self-evaluating, effective and efficient, with continuous improvement, utilising technologies for learning, and raising standards for all. This was funded for 5 years and closed in April 2005.

Since 1999, Ravens Wood School has maintained strong links with Lulea University in Sweden. An ‘exchange programme’ was operated each year with them, whereby in May their trainee English teachers came to spend time at Ravens Wood and they then reciprocated with our trainee teachers. This programme forged strong links, enhancing the teacher training for both parties involved. Both educational systems offer very different approaches and many lessons were learned.

In July 2003 the school was recognised by the DfES as a ‘Leading Edge School’. In January 2005, Ofsted named Ravens Wood School as being in the top 37 schools in London, out of 234 named schools in Britain.

The Thinking and Learning Schools’ Alliance (TLSA) was formed in 2004. This alliance was aimed at bringing together schools and staff in England and Canada, to improve the education provided for their students.

The school includes amongst its Old Boys: Cllr David Mannion, David Bowie, Peter Frampton, Hanif Kureishi, John Pienaar, Tom Solesbury and James Alaka.

The number on roll has swelled from 800 in the 1980s to the current figure of over 1400. The intake for Years 7s has risen from 154 at the start of the nineties, peaking at 278 in 2003, (including 44 boys and 20 girls waiting to transfer to Bishop Justus whilst the school was under construction), and settling at the current figure of 232.