Whatever the nature of the local community, pupils are growing up in a wider multicultural and multiracial society where they are subject to various attitudes towards minority groups, and also certain images of these groups portrayed by the media. The school’s Equality Objectives should be read in conjunction with the Accessibility Policy, the Equal Opportunities Policy and the Disability Equality Scheme.
The School stands against all forms of discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or ability.
This is achieved through the following objectives:
- Promotion of cultural understanding and awareness of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our school community.
- Monitoring and promotion of the involvement of all groups of students in the extra-curricular life of the school, including leadership opportunities, especially students with special educational needs and disabilities.
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students and all groups of students; especially students eligible for free-school meals, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups.
- Continue to improve accessibility across the school for students, staff and visitors with disabilities, including access to specialist teaching areas.
- Endeavour to ensure that the staff body and representation of staff in leadership roles is reflective of the local community.
- Reduce the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in the school.